Wednesday, February 6, 2013

M.L.T. Sandwich (mushroom, lettuce, and tomato)

I was inspired to make this after I saw a picture of something similar, it looked good so I made my own version, it wasn't called an MLT though ;) However this was something that just hit the spot, I was craving a sandwich and this combination called to me even though I never used to like mushrooms I'm starting to think it's not the foods we don't like, sometimes it just the way it's prepared. I'm finding since going plant based I like mushrooms and maybe it's the way I'm making it, just the way I like it. Anyway this is super easy to make, filling, and it is definitely hard to eat as a whole sandwich, I had to make it an open face but you can just adjust the ingredients to your liking, I was just really hungry :)

Serves 1:

2 pieces sprouted grain bread, or bread of choice, a wrap would work too
1/2 avocado
1 tsp lemon juice
2 slices tomato
1-2 oz romaine or other leafy green
About half of 1 large portabella mushroom, more if you like, sliced in thin strips
1/4 of a medium onion, cut in strips, or desired pieces
couple dashes of lemon pepper, or other favorite seasoning
1 garlic clove, minced
S&P to taste


-Saute your sliced mushroom, garlic, and onion with small splashes of water as needed, add a few dashes of your favorite seasonings, I like lemon pepper on mine.

-Mash up your avocado, add lemon juice and S&P to taste

- Toast your bread, spread avocado mixture on each slice, add tomatoes and lettuce.

-When the mushrooms and onion become soft and limp, about 5-10 mins, then add to the rest of your sandwich and devour!

Notes:
*I'm sure other mushrooms would be delicious as well :)
*My husband really liked this as an open face on beer bread, which is also really good.
*You could also add the closed sandwich back to your pan and flatten to make it more like a panini or similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment