Saturday, December 1, 2012

The Best Vegan Cheese Sauce


  This is without a doubt the best nacho type cheese sauce you will ever taste, I served this with pasta, broccoli, asparagus, and with corn chips, or top your baked potato with it. I promise anyone that eats this will love it and want the recipe. The first time I tried a fake cheese with nutritional yeast I didn't like it, I am willing to try nutritional yeast again but I was happy to find a "cheese" sauce without it.


  
   This is originally from VegNews vegan mac & cheese recipe , I changed some of the quantities to fit our tastes at home and thought since I'm always sending people the link to that recipe and then telling them about my changes it might be easier to just post it with the adjustments. But all the credit goes to the original recipe, it's so delicious and so simple to make, I know you'll love it! I promise to get a picture up of it soon, as I'm sure we will be making it again as soon as we can ;)


1 cup red or yellow potatoes, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
1/3 cup onion, peeled and chopped
1 cup water, or just enough to cover
1/4 cup raw cashews (soak 4-6 hrs if you can)
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp garlic, minced (or garlic powder)
1/4 tsp and a tiny dab extra of Dijon mustard
1 tbs lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1/4 tsp black pepper
Pinch of cayenne (add an extra pinch if you want it to have an extra spicy kick)

-Place your potatoes, carrots, onion, and water in sauce pan, bring to a boil, cover and lower heat, simmer about 15 mins or until tender.

-While that is cooking, add the rest of the ingredients to your blender, when the vegetables are done add some of the cooking water to the ingredients in the blender and process until smooth (doesn't matter how much just enough to get things moving). Add the rest of the cooking water and veggies to the blender and process again until smooth.

* The original recipe included more salt, margarine, less dijon, and more cayenne.


2 comments:

  1. This Cheese sauce is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you ! :) <3 and thank you for the altered version. Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it though? Your welcome, glad you enjoy it! :)

      Delete