Sunday, February 3, 2013

What the heck is a Jicama (hecama)?

 
It's amazing ever since I started eating plant based it's like a whole new world opened up to me, I'm eating foods I never even knew existed and I'm loving it. There is so much variety in just fruits and vegetables out there I decided to take on a new one every month, and now I will start to blog about them so you can be aware of their existence too, although you might have already heard of some of these you can rejoice in my personal experience of discovery ;) I may blog about some normal every day ones as well and just promote the benefits of them for your learning pleasure! Isn't it great how these little things make me happy?.. Hey I'm not complaining.
 
 
Jicama, pronounced "heck-ama" is a root vegetable that I recently discovered and now it's one of my favorites. I just found out about it after watching the show How To Live To 100 with Jason Wrobel and he had used it as a vessel for dipping into a bean bell pepper salad he made. When I went to the grocery store I saw one and I thought for 1.29 a lb sure I'll try one, so this became my featured food of the month and let me tell you I am glad I tried it, jicama has a very almost unnoticeable mild rutabaga/turnip flavor, and is very similar in texture to a water chestnut, it's crisp, watery, and most refreshing. Jicama is also a good source of vitamin C, and dietary fiber. So far I like to peel it and slice it into thin chips and dip it into hummus, add it to my salads, or you can put it in stir fry like you would water chestnuts, yummy! So go out and check your store and try one today, if you can't find one well expand your horizons and see if there is anything else in the store you seem to always overlook and never thought to try, you won't be sorry!
 
Click here for more nutritional information on Jicama
 
Click here to check out some videos with Jason Wrobel for recipes, tips, and info, he does use oil in some of his recipes but you can skip the oil or try to replace it with something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment