Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Biscotti, Almond (V)

    I've been searching for a vegan recipe for biscotti for a while now and I think I found a keeper! Yum!  I love biscotti and used to make it all the time so I was excited.
    Not only did I add chopped almonds, I used the left over almond meal from making my almond milk, I didn't use as much sugar, and I had to cook it a little longer since I like mine super crunchy (you could prob leave it at 325 degrees the whole time), and don't forget to grease the pan! I was able to use 1 large cookie sheet pan and formed my logs directly on the pan.
    It's fun to display your biscotti in a glass cookie jar on the counter. (wanna know a secret?... I have never eaten a store bought biscotti! lol) Here is the original recipe from food.com:

Directions:

Preheat oven the 325°F.

Lightly oil two cookie sheets.

Use double layer shiny ones, if you have them.

If yours are very black, line them with foil.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, and salt.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, applesauce, oil (1 TBS for a hard biscotti, 2-3 TBS for a softer biscuit), and extracts.

Stir the sugar mixture into the flour mixture, add the nuts; finish mixing with your hands.

With floured hands, shape the dough into two 3-inch wide "logs" about 3/4 inch thick, with the ends squared off.

Place these on the cookie sheets.

Bake the logs for about 25 minutes.

Remove the pans and reduce the oven heat to 300°F.

Cool the logs on a rack for 15 minutes.

Cut the logs carefully with a sharp knife straight across into 1/2 inch wide slices.

Place the slices cut side down on the cookie sheets (you can remove the foil, if using).

Bake 5-10 minutes, or until golden on the bottom

Turn the slices over and cook 5-10 minutes more, or until golden on bottom

Cool on racks, then store airtight for up to two weeks

Click Here for the recipe on the actual website.

No comments:

Post a Comment