Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Lebanese Beans and Rice (V)


My grandma used to make "green beans and rice" although she used steak instead of kidney beans. I recently had a vegan version at Emily's Lebanese Deli that tasted similar only it had kidney beans and no green beans, it made me want my grandma's dish, so I combined the two and made it with the green beans and kidney beans, just no meat :) so in a way I still get grandmas green beans and rice. I hope you like it.

About 5-6 servings of 1 cup sauce mix and 1/2 cup rice each:

1 can cooked red kidney beans (or 1 3/4 cup cooked beans if you make your own)
1 medium onion chopped
1 15oz can tomato sauce
1 15oz can tomato diced
1 tsp garlic powder, or 1-2 cloves minced
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups green beans
1 cup uncooked brown rice


-Start cooking your rice, Click here for a method of cooking rice to reduce arsenic which is my favorite way to cook brown rice.

-Saute chopped onion and garlic in a different large pot until soft and translucent, just splash with water while cooking instead of oil.

-Add the tomato sauce, diced tomato, green beans, kidney beans, and seasonings to the pot with the onion, cover lightly and bring to a simmer on low heat for about 10 mins, stirring frequently.

-Put some of the bean/tomato sauce mix on top of a serving of rice and devour! S&P to taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment