Friday, September 19, 2014

Fall is coming, let's eat Curried Red Lentil Soup!

 


  So it's September and it's getting cooler outside which means it's time for soups! You know I love soup, they are just so easy to bring to work and leftovers are delicious. I hope to post a few of them throughout the fall and winter, including minestrone and chili, I thought I would start with this delicious curried soup based on the original recipe at Vegetarian Times. I really love this soup, it makes a large batch. I also include cauliflower because for some reason it just fits perfectly in there. I hope you find it tasty!

  • 2 cups red lentils, sorted and rinsed
  • 1 qt. low-sodium vegetable broth
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped (2 cups)
  • 4 celery stalks, finely chopped (1 ½ cups)
  • 2 large carrots, finely chopped (1 ½ cups)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
  • ¼ cup chopped cilantro
  • 1 Tbs. curry powder
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 2 Tbs. lemon juice
  • 1/2 head of cauliflower, cut in bite size pieces

- Bring lentils, vegetable broth, and 4 cups water to a simmer in large pot. Skim away foam that rises to top. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

- Add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.

-Add cilantro, curry powder, cauliflower, and cumin, and cook 20 minutes more, or until lentils and cauliflower are soft. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and stir in lemon juice.

3 comments:

  1. Can I use broccoli instead of cauliflower? I want to make this so bad..lol it sounds absolutely delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could use broccoli, it would be a different flavor but I'm sure it would still be good. You don't have to add it at all if you don't want to :)

      Delete
    2. Good morning, I made the soup half with broccoli and the other half without. I liked it better without....either way it was great !!!
      Thank you so much, one of the best recipes .
      Have a great weekend

      Kostas

      Delete