Thursday, January 10, 2013

Chickpea Noodle Soup



This soup is flavorful, comforting and has just the right amount of everything. This is the first time I tried a homemade vegetable broth powder, I used the recipe from SimpleHealthyTasty.com which contains something called nutritional yeast, this is not like regular yeast for making bread. I didn't like nutritional yeast the first time I used it, this however was a lot better and I think I must have a better brand or its more fresh because it even smells better than before, you can find it in the bulk section at most natural food stores Click here for more information on nutritional yeast. Since this broth powder resembles the flavor of chicken broth I cannot say how this soup would taste with regular vegetable broth liquid from the store, however I'm sure it would be just as delicious with extra seasonings, but still different :) You could also try Better than bouillon no chicken base which I have not tried either but have seen at the natural foods stores. Anyhoosle I hope you like it no matter what broth you choose to use.
                                                                    

Makes About 8 cups:
1 can chickpeas or garbanzo beans (I used eden organic) or 1 1/2 cups after soaking and cooking.
2 carrots cut in bite sized pieces
1 cup frozen peas
1 large onion, diced
2 oz. whole wheat spiral pasta, or favorite pasta
2 1/2 Tbs. Homemade Vegetable Broth Powder, or 8 cups vegetable broth
1 tsp. garlic powder, or 1 clove of garlic minced
1 Tbs. dried parsley
8 cups water or vegetable broth
S&P to taste (I usually do this at the table)

-Saute onion in a large soup pot until translucent, wet with splashes of water as needed, add garlic if using as well.
- Add water/vegetable broth, all the seasonings, and carrot, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 10-15 mins
- Add pasta, beans, and peas and simmer another 10 mins or so or until pasta is cooked to desired tenderness.

* If you would like to thicken up your soup a little you can add 1Tbs of flour to 1/4 cup water and mix well and stir into the soup.

*Feel free to add chopped celery as well, we are not big fans in my house so the flavor in the broth was enough for us :)

No comments:

Post a Comment