Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Brown Rice & Lentil Stew (with leftover refried bean broth)(V)

I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it, figured it would be such a waste. So what can you do with pinto bean broth after making the refried bean recipe I have on here? Well make a hearty stew with it that's what! I added a bunch of stuff to my crockpot on a whim and yum! Serve this with some fresh warm bread.

5-6 cups bean broth leftover from making refried beans
water as needed
1 cup uncooked brown rice
1/2 cup uncooked brown lentils, rinsed
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 large carrot, cut in bite size pieces
1 cup frozen corn
1 tsp. of garlic powder
1 Tbs. dried parsley
S&P to taste

-Put everything in the crockpot except water and sweet potato, about half way through cooking add the sweet potato, cook on low for 6-8 hrs or when rice is done.

- I have not made this on the stove yet but I assume you would just simmer everything for about 25 mins or until rice and lentils are done.

-Add hot water or more broth liquid as its cooking if it seems too thick.

-Since the bean broth already had so much flavor from the refried beans I didn't add much at all to it.

*If you like celery it would prob be a good addition, I'm not a huge fan myself unless its hiding under peanut butter lol.

*You can probably use regular broth for this recipe but then you will need to add more seasonings and it won't be as thick, but it's a good base for a good hearty soup regardless of the broth you use.


*I haven't had any gas issues from the refried beans or this, but if you do it could be from undercooked beans or your body isn't used to them, you could also add some fennel seed, or bay leaf, this helps to relax the stomach. Recipe Tips and Alternatives

No comments:

Post a Comment