Monday, June 25, 2012

Why I Don't Take A Multivitamin


    A lot of people are asking me lately what vitamins they should take or why don't I just take a multivitamin, well the answer is simple, I get most of it from the food I eat. Most people are low in vitamin B12 regardless of diet type so I take that. I eat enough green vegetables, dark leafy greens, chia seeds, and ground flax seeds for omega 3 ALA but it's said we may not convert to DHA and EPA efficiently so I take an algae supplement for those. I believe diet is more important than we realize and what you put in your body plays a huge role in your health. Everybody has different nutritional needs, if you aren't sure or want to know where your at it's always a good idea to have your minerals and nutrient levels checked by a dietitian or someone that specializes in food and nutrition (I hear most doctors do not study nutrition). I'm not a dietitian and I'm not telling you what to eat, especially if you are on medication it's always good to consult one. I'm just telling you what I eat and do.

Some videos on why multivitamins may not be beneficial:
Multivitamin Supplements And Breast Cancer
Some Dietary Supplements May Be More Than A Waste Of Money

Also:
Click here for a basic requirement of nutrients.

Obviously there are a lot of other nutrients you should be considering especially if you are a woman and in certain times of life, for instance- folate/folic acid, this I get plenty of from foods, you also want to make sure you are not taking a lab created folic acid, natural folate is better for you.

   What I eat in a day changes depending on if I cooked something or not like soup or another dish, or what fruits and veggies are in season, sometimes I have oatmeal with raisins, it just depends. I like to bake so I might have a biscotti or a cookie but it's not as often as it used to be and I try to make it healthier. I'm always trying something new, for example I will be getting some hemp seeds soon, and I'm going to try some beets, I keep a variety of foods and have fun trying new things. My diet consists of mostly fruits, veggies, nuts/seeds, grains, beans/lentils and I drink mostly water, and tea, I try to stay away from most processed foods, fast food, and oils that have been extracted from their original form like walnut oil etc. I try to eat organic when possible to limit my intake of GMO and pesticides etc. I also exercise with cardio and weights.

*If you would like to know more about what I buy check out my Shopping Guide & List.

No comments:

Post a Comment